With the times changing, not getting married until you reach thirty seems to be the new norm. The times when people got married in their early twenties are long gone apparently. The societal pressure of getting married fizzling out gradually is undoubtedly a boon, no denying that. But, there are more than one reasons why getting married early is not such a bad decision after all. While waiting till you’re well settled before you marry makes total sense, tying the knot earlier has its own benefits. Breaking the common myth that tying the knot early puts a full stop to your life, here are 11 reasons why it is actually a good decision.
1. First things first, there is no perfect time. Marriage is a big decision and you will still be as clueless when you are forty as you are right now. There will never come a time when you feel you’re ‘ready for it’. Waiting for it will only make you lose out on what you could have right now. If you’ve found the right person already, maybe, it is time to take the plunge.
3. Admit it or not, your twenties are the most exciting years of your life. Once gone, it never comes back. You want your significant other to be a part of that glorious phase in your life too. Getting married early opens up a whole new world for the couple where they discover a hundred new firsts every day, together. Your first overseas trip, your first day at that dream job, the day you buy your first car – you want it to experience with the woman you love, don’t you?
4. Needless to say, honeymoons are much more fun when you’re young. You can go out partying and get sloshed, you can set out on a day long trek, you don’t have to constantly worry about ‘acting your age’ – it is like going out on a trip with your ‘girlfriend’ all over again. It is edgy and exciting. You don’t want to be one of those boring couples who have no capacity left for alcohol and no enthusiasm for anything else either!
5. Remember how your dad carried you around on his shoulders all the time when you were a kid and how he was your first best friend? Every man wants to give his kids the same childhood. You want to be the one who teaches your son how to play Cricket and his daughter, how to ride a bicycle.
You want to be their superhero. And, that can’t happen when you’re a middle aged man with a paunch who is diagnosed with a new ailment every day. You want to be the ‘young dad’ your kids love to play with!
6. Making a career, looking after a whole house, providing your family with the best of everything is no easy feat. Having to fend for your kids even after you retire from your job makes it worse. You don’t want to be struggling all your life. Your kids should ideally be old enough to look after themselves by the time you retire for the sake of financial stability of the household, and that is highly unlikely when you get married anytime after thirty.
7. You’re more adaptable and adjusting when you’re young. There are more chances of your marriage working when you’re tolerant and understanding towards each other. Once you’re already well settled and have figured out everything on your own, it gets difficult for you to make compromises and for someone else to adjust with you.
8. When you marry, you come of age. You become responsible at a considerably young age, which not just reflects in your married life, but even in your career. You no longer live a paycheque to paycheque life. Your savings get a huge kick-start. The decisions you make are no longer short-sighted and you learn how to deal with even the most difficult situations in life. What’s more? You have a constant support by your side all that while.
9. Early twenties is the time when you come the closest to yourself and get drawn the farthest from your family. Marriage revives that bond. You begin to attend family dinners without having to compromise on those drunken nights with friends. You’re as close to your family as you’re connected with your best friends. That not only makes you realize the importance of your parents, but also strengthens you emotionally.
11. There are times when marriages go terribly wrong and there is nothing you could have anticipated. An early marriage gives you much more chance to not only work on the relationship but also walk out of it and start afresh in case it fails. It may not be the most pleasant thing to hear but all said and done, there is nothing in the world that can ensure the success of a marriage.
CrediAhnieWellington & other special couples.